Logic Colloquium 2005
A.S.L. European Summer Meeting
Athens, Greece, July 28 – August 3, 2005
- Athens International Airport is located 33 kms southeast of the city
center and is accessible via Attiki Odos (the Athens City Ring Road). Public
transport between Athens city center and the airport is provided by (a) express
buses, (b) metro, (c) railway and (d) taxis. For detailed information, please
see airport website
- Registration, the opening session and the welcome reception will take place in the main (historic) building of the University of Athens (map); in particular, registration will take place in the Kontos Hall (on the right-hand side of the entrance), the opening session will take place in the Great Hall, while the reception will take place in the courts of the building.
- All other sessions will take place in the building of the Department of Mathematics on the campus of the University of Athens, which is located in the district of Ilissia, about 3 kms east of the city center, between the municipalities of Kesariani and Zografou (map 1(jpg) & map 2(link)). Short courses and plenary lectures will take place in the “Great Amphitheatre”; special sessions lectures and contributed talks will take place in amphitheatres / lecture rooms in wing Ã (Gamma) of the building (all lecture rooms are on the 2nd floor and will be clearly marked).
Reaching the venue for the opening session |
- The main building of the University of Athens is located in the city center (map) , between the building of the National Library and that of the Athens Academy; the exact address is: 30, Eleftheriou Venizelou Avenue (usually called “Panepistimiou Avenue” by Greeks).
- This building is within walking distance from Hotel Titania (4 minutes’ walk), Hotel Residence Georgio (10 minutes’ walk) and Hotel The Alassia (12 minutes’ walk).
- Participants staying at Hotel Divani Caravel can use bus lines 214, 223, 224 or the metro. The stop for buses 214, 223 and 224 is opposite the entrance of this hotel. If one takes bus 214, one should get off at the terminal stop, located on the western side of the main building. If one takes bus 223 or 224, one should get off at the 2nd stop in Solonos Street, opposite the entrance to the Law School. If one chooses the metro, one can walk to Evangelismos (about 7 minutes’ walk), take line 3 (blue line) towards Monastiraki, change to line 2 (red line) at Syntagma towards Ag. Antonios and get off at Panepistimio.
Reaching the venue for all other sessions
- Reaching the main gate of the campus (map)
Reaching the building of the Department of Mathematics
- The main gate of the campus is on Oulaf Palme Avenue (at its junction with Efroniou Street), within walking distance from Hotel Divani Caravel (7 minutes’ walk).
- Several public bus lines can take you from the city center to locations near the main gate. The terminals /stops of these lines (namely 220, 221, 222 and 235) are located in Akadimias street, on the northern side of the main building of the University of Athens. The most convenient line is 221, because it stops on Efroniou Street, near its junction with Oulaf Palme Avenue. However, buses of this line do not run very frequently, so it is advisable to prefer lines 220, 222 and 235, which stop on Michalakopoulou Avenue (near Hilton Hotel), from where you can walk to the main gate (7 minutes’ walk).
- You can also use the metro: take line 3 (blue line) towards Doukissis Plakentias-Airport, get off at Evangelismos and then walk to the main gate, first along Vasileos Alexandrou Avenue and then on Efroniou street (about 15 minutes’ walk).
- You can also use trolley lines 3, 8 and 13, stopping in Akadimias street at (a) Kaningos Square (near Hotel Residence Georgio) and (b) on the northern side of the building of the National Library. You should get off at Evangelismos and then follow the route described above.
- Having reached the main gate of the campus, take the free coach that runs regularly round the campus between 08.00 and 20.00 (departure times to be announced), get off at the 5th stop and walk back 100m to the entrance of the building of the Department of Mathematics (the stop is opposite the entrance of the Department of Geology). Note that the main entrance of the building is marked with “ÔÌÇÌÁ ÌÁÈÇÌÁÔÉÊÙÍ”.
- Participants staying at the four “official” hotels can use the free coaches that will run (twice a day) between these hotels and the conference venue on all working days except the first (departure times to be announced).